CAN specialises in contemporary participatory arts practice and we work with practitioners who excel at facilitating engagement and cultural expression.
Focusing on urban communities and settings, we create work which has both high artistic and socially engaged value to those communities where the work is sited.
We work in a range of contexts and non-traditional venues to extend a cultural offer which includes:
- Workshops for new and established groups
- Artist development and training
- Events including festivals, live showcases, film screenings and performances.
- Visual arts exhibitions and installations
- Staging of new writing
- Digital distribution and screenings
We work across artforms including:
- Combined arts; carnival arts, international theatre and performance art
- Dance; contemporary and urban
- Music; popular music (international and UK urban), choirs, music groups, music theatre, inter-cultural music
- Theatre; new writing and performance, translation and performance of international work, new media and performance
- Visual arts and new media arts; supporting emerging artists, exhibition curation, video & digital arts facilitation and production
CAN believes that participation in the arts is vital to the wellbeing of individuals, communities and wider society, creating social and cultural capital, raising aspirations and self-esteem and developing and voicing narratives around people’s lives. The vast majority of our creative programmes are about creating the means to cultural production for the people we work with. The organisation is committed to achieving these outcomes through the highest possible production values, by seeking out established and emerging artists, striving to innovate, and placing the knowledge and expertise of both practitioners and communities at the heart of what we work.
CAN’s artistic programme consists of a series of special projects including the Exodus refugee arts programmes, mixed media youth arts performance projects in Wigan and Manchester, and coming soon a newly refocused digital arts cultural offer.